Friday 11 January 2013

2003 - Christmas Comes Early

Normally, I make Choc-Oat Chip cookies
from "Joy" for Charlie.

Mom and I teamed together this morning to whip up a quick batch of cookies for Charlie. I didn't have my usual recipe for Choc-Oat-Chip Cookies (his favorite) from "Joy of Cooking" though, so we improvised with the recipe on the back of the Quaker Oats box (Yummy Oatmeal Cookies). I'm not going to keep the recipe, though, because I didn't think they were as good as our old standby.

We just made one batch, so they will be gone in no time. Still, we saved a dozen to take on the plane back to England with us. We leave in just three days (on Dec. 15). The rest of the family came around today for our faux Christmas in Louisville. It was great because I've been living in England for two years now and I miss seeing everyone for the holidays. This year, Thanksgiving fell late in November, so we were able to share that holiday with Mom, and then the Christmas-like get-together today with my brothers and sister and their families.

Needless to say, there was a giant cookie tray filled with goodies baked on both sides of the pond. We ate, drank and made merry, then exchanged gifts (which I will happily squeeze into our luggage). I'm so glad we got to share cookies and some "holiday" time with my family this year.
My niece, Jordan, enjoying
one of my "imported"
tree-shaped Sugar Cookies.

This will probably be my last baking session, here or in England. There will be too many other things to do once we get back (like getting a tree and decorating it!). I really enjoyed Mom's spacious, modern oven and her KitchenAid - they made all the difference in my baking experience this year. But the best part was baking cookies with her. I was supposed to bake Chocolate Chip Cookies with Lisa but unfortunately we never found the time. Maybe next year, if I get back in December ...

We didn't get to bake together but
my sister and I spent some quality time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment