Saturday 5 January 2013

2003 - Cookies, Cookies Everywhere


Charlie played with magnetic Santa Claus
while I decorated cookies.
I may be bleary-eyed and my back still aches but I'm so pleased with my Sugar Cookie results! I think I started decorating the cookies about 2:30 p.m. yesterday (Nov. 20), and I finished at 3 a.m.! There were loads of them everywhere — both counters, the stove, the CD player, the table, the chairs and Charlie's high chair. I had every plate, platter, cookie sheet and tray out. (They're still out, waiting to be washed.)

Charlie was an angel the whole time and didn't show much interest, thankfully. He spent a lot of time at the table with me though. He was playing with a magnetic dress-up Santa Claus that I bought for him the last time we were in the States. I even made dinner and gave Charlie his bath between decorating stages.

I couldn't figure out the proportions for the Royal Icing at first. Martha Stewart's recipe calls for a pound of confectioner's sugar. A kilo is 2.2. pounds and I used that sized box but it was runny. So I kept that back for flooding. Fortunately, I had another small box, so I made another batch using 4 cups (each cup weighs 4 1/2 ounces), which I used for the piping, or outlining. I still don't understand what I did wrong but it all worked out in the end. Conversions are a pain in the bottom!

I found some different decorations at Millets Farm.
We now have green trees, white trees, blue bells, yellow stars, striped candy canes, white snowmen and green holly leaves. I had some cute decorations that I got last year at Millets Farm Centre (sugar snowflakes and such) that made a nice change. I love Millets for produce and baking supplies, and it's not too far away from our town.

Now, the Sugar Cookies are all boxed up in the freezer, ready to go! I've had to divide my own cookies up too, so I'll have some for taking "home" and some for when we get back "home." I shall be well-received!

No comments:

Post a Comment