Wednesday 2 January 2013

Happy Hogmanay!

My neighbor, Bob, in his clan's kilt,
was my first-footer.

While the rest of us were ringing in the New Year, the Scots were celebrating Hogmanay! It still works out pretty much the same though. Hogmanay is the Scottish word for the last day of the year. However, it's just the start of the celebration, which carries on from midnight on New Year's Eve till the morning of New Year's Day (or, in some cases, through Jan. 2, which is a Scottish Bank Holiday). 

My neighbor Bob, who always sports a sporran, was my "first-foot," the first friend or neighbor to cross my threshold in the New Year. Scots who continue the tradition of first-footing, bring such symbolic gifts as salt, coal, shortbread, whiskey and black buns. In my case, it was Bob's homemade Shortbread. You may think it's a bit late to blog about Hogmanay, but modern times see people visiting houses well into the middle of January. The first-foot is supposed to set the luck for the rest of the year. I cannot think of a better start to the year than a friend bearing homemade cookies. (or whiskey!)

The beautiful homemade shortbread that
I received for Hogmanay.

No comments:

Post a Comment