Friday, 7 December 2012

1997 - Marathon Day

I arrived at Lisa's house at 8 this morning - before the kids went off to school! We needed an early start for Sugar Cookies and it turned out to be our marathon day. 

I was trying to get ahead by measuring out all the ingredients for our second double batch - we were waiting on the butter to soften. (Remember to set out the butter early!) Anyway, I had 2 teaspoons too much of salt and then I added 2 tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice instead of nutmeg. Sigh! It was VERY early for measuring and reading spice labels.

I soon recovered and we started on the Sugar Cookies. We used 2 tablespoons of nutmeg in each double batch instead of the other spices called for in the "Joy of Cooking" cookbook. We used pre-selected cutters: holly leaves, wreaths, trees, stars and snowmen (whose scarves kept breaking off again!). 

We finished at 11 a.m., saving the frosting and decorating for tomorrow. We cranked out three double batches for a huge yield of 15 dozen! That's three dozen of each type. I still have to get food coloring on the way over to Lisa's tomorrow.

We went on to Pumpkin Cookies next. They take so long to bake in cookie time - 15 minutes - but they're so delicious and fragrant that they're worth it. We finished these by 2:30 and decided to frost them as we got them out. We'll have to see how that works. They're hard to pack with the frosting we use. (Maybe we should pack them plain for freezing and frost them as we break them out to thaw.) We wound up with a whopping 14 1/2 dozen.

We steamrolled ahead with Peanut Butter Cookies. We rolled the dough into little balls and coated them all in granulated sugar. We made two double batches for a mega yield of 19 1/2 dozen! We also made a baker's dozen of Thumbprint PBs for Mom. We filled them with strawberry jam and they looked really pretty.

Unbelievably, we went on to make our favorite discover from last year: Dunkable Brownies (Chocolate Brownie Cookies). They smell so good! They bake for 12 minutes and don't look quite done when you bring them out of the oven but that's how it is with brownies. So we yank them out, let them rest on the pan and set up for a minute, then cool on wire racks. We made two double batches and came up with 14 dozen lovelies. We finished the day at 10:05 p.m. totally exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment