Tuesday 11 December 2012

1999 - Short and Sweet


I had to go it alone this year because our work schedules weren't compatible. So, on Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 4 and 5, I made eight dozen Peanut Butter Cookies and 12 dozen Nestle's Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookies. Then I made seven dozen Dunkable Brownies (they smelled too good not to sample immediately) and 11 dozen Lime Meltaways.

The Lime Meltaways are easy slice and bake cookies that are so light and fragrant, they became a quick favorite. It's nice to have a citrus cookie to offset all the chocolate too. They're covered in powdered sugar but the discs themselves aren't very sweet, so it's a winning combo. Just be careful when you shake them in the powdered sugar or you'll have to eat many, many casualties! Michelle was with me for these and she loved mixing the leftover lime juice with sugar for a refreshing limeade.

I gave Lisa half of everything and packed up some of mine to send to Neil in England. (I met him at the Breeders' Cup in Miami in November.) I also sent him some of Mom's Pumpkin Bread.

I wore my Christmas apron and played music but I missed Lisa, especially for the music and the pizza! I cried when Johnny Mathis came on singing "Sleigh Bells" because it reminded me of Dad. He always made fun of Mathis and sang, "Sleighb'lls." I miss him and his sense of humor so much.

Lisa made Magic Cookie Bars, a new entry that layers a mere five ingredients, including Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk into a luscious, but easy-to-make, bar. She also made fudge - chocolate and chocolate-peanut butter - which she shared, of course. I missed baking with her this year and I hope we can find time to get together next Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment